Printer Friendly Printer Friendly

Academic Policies and Procedures


Writing proficiency is required for the NYU bachelor’s degree. The writing proficiency requirement is fulfilled by completing the Writing II course with a minimum grade of C. A Writing II grade that is below the grade of C requires that the student repeat the course.


Albert is the NYU student information services Web site. Students can use Albert to register for courses, change addresses, and review transcripts and financial aid information. Albert can be accessed via NYUHome at


To receive a final grade for a course, a student must be in regular attendance and satisfactorily complete all examinations and other assignments prescribed by the instructor. A student will not receive a grade for any course for which she or he is not officially registered.

Students who request faculty to review the calculation of a final grade must do so within one month after the course ends. The review must normally be completed within one month but may be extended in the case of a formal grade appeal to the dean.

The following grades are awarded and are computed in the grade point average: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, and F. In general, A indicates excellent work; B indicates good work; C indicates satisfactory work; D indicates passable work and is the lowest passing grade; and F indicates failure. The weights assigned to the grades in computing the grade point average are as follows:

A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3,
B = 3.0, B- = 2.7, C+ = 2.3,
C = 2.0, C- = 1.7, D+ = 1.3,
D = 1.0, and F = 0.0.

Computing the Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) can be obtained by determining the total of all grade points earned and dividing that figure by the total number of credits completed. For example, if an LS student has completed an 18-credit schedule and receives grades of A, A-, B, and C+, respectively, in four 4-credit courses and a B+ in a 2-credit course, the student’s semester GPA would be computed as follows:

4.0 (A)    x  4 credits = 16.0
3.7 (A-)   x  4 credits = 14.8
3.0 (B)    x  4 credits = 12.0
2.3 (C+)  x  4 credits = 9.2
3.3 (B+)  x  2 credits = 6.6
Total grade points 58.6
GPA=58.6 divided by 18 = 3.255

The total grade points (58.6) is divided by the number of credits earned (18) to obtain the GPA (3.255). Note: There are no A+, D-, or F+ grades. See Pass/Fail Option, below, for information about pass/fail policies, including those that apply specifically to LS students.

I Grade (Incomplete)

The grade of I (Incomplete) is a temporary grade that indicates that the student has, for good reason, not completed all of the course work but that there is the possibility that the student will eventually pass the course when all of the requirements have been completed. A student must ask the instructor for a grade of I, present documented evidence of illness or the equivalent, and clarify the remaining course requirements with the instructor.

The incomplete grade is not awarded automatically. It is not used when there is no possibility that the student will eventually pass the course. In general, students have one semester to finish the work for a course in which an incomplete grade was received. If the course work is not completed after the statutory time for making up incompletes has elapsed, the temporary grade of I shall become an F and will be computed in the student’s grade point average.

W Grade

The grade of W indicates an official withdrawal from a course.

Pass/Fail Option

Applies to both the Core Program and Global Liberal Studies students: Students may elect no more than one pass/fail option each term, including the summer sessions, for a total of no more than 16 points while they are degree candidates in LS. The pass/fail option is not available for courses completed at other institutions.

The choice to elect pass/fail grading in any course must be made before the completion of the ninth week of the term (or the third week of a six-week summer session); after that time, the grading option cannot be changed. Note that once elected, the choice of pass/fail grading cannot be changed back to the letter grade option. No grade other than P or F will be recorded for students choosing the pass/fail option. P includes all passing grades and is not counted in the grade point average. F is counted in the grade point average.

The pass/fail option is not permitted for any required course.
The form for declaring the pass/fail option may be obtained in the LS Advising Center, 726 Broadway, 6th Floor.

A Note for Core Program Students (only) about Pass/Fail: Students should note that in other schools of NYU, the pass/fail option generally is not permitted for any Morse Academic Plan courses, for any degree requirements, for courses in the major and the minor, or for required preprofessional courses. Students who change majors may not be able to use courses taken under the pass/fail option to satisfy requirements of the new major. Students contemplating the pass/fail option should consult with a LS staff adviser about the likely effect of such grades on their academic and career plans.


Students may access Albert online to adjust their schedule by dropping and adding courses until the end of the second week of classes; all schedule changes made after the third week of the semester must be approved by the LS Advising Center. Ultimately, the courses that students sign up for are their responsibility. When not certain about changes they want to make, students should check with the LS Advising Center. Students may withdraw from a course up until the ninth week of the semester. Courses dropped during the first three weeks of classes will not appear on the transcript. After the third week of classes, students can no longer add a course, and a W will be recorded on their transcript if they withdraw from a course. This grade will not be included in the calculation of their grade point average.

Note: LS students are strongly cautioned that they should not add courses or change sections of courses after the second week of the semester. Students who wish to add a course in the third week must secure permission from the instructor in advance. Students who add a course or change a section at any time are fully responsible for all work previously assigned.

After the ninth week of classes, students can withdraw from a course only in case of severe emergency. Late withdrawals must be approved by the dean. Undergraduates are not allowed to completely withdraw from all courses through Albert. For complete withdrawal, students must see a member of the LS advising staff.


Liberal Studies (the Core Program and Global Liberal Studies) accepts a maximum of 32 credits of advanced standing. While GLS accepts up to 32 advanced standing credits, the structure of the program does not typically allow for early graduation. Advanced standing credits are college credits earned before entering NYU. Advanced standing credits must be submitted to the NYU Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center and are only then evaluated by the LS Advising Center.

Students should request that official AP results, college transcripts, and other documentation be sent to the NYU Office of Undergraduate Admissions, New York University, 665 Broadway, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10012-2339. AP scores may also be sent electronically through

Examples of advanced standing credits are credits earned at other colleges and universities before admission to NYU in which the grades earned were B or better and for which scores of 4 or 5 were obtained on the Advanced Placement examinations. International Baccalaureate, French Baccalaureate, A-levels, Abitur, and some other foreign maturity examination credits may also result in advanced standing credit. Some courses taken at other colleges may not be honored by NYU.

While Liberal Studies accepts advanced standing credits, the work reflected by these credits will not substitute for any of the courses in the Core Program and in Global Liberal Studies. The only requirements which advanced standing credits may satisfy for the Core Program and GLS are mathematics and science. Students should also note that the several undergraduate schools and colleges of NYU have different policies on whether AP or other advanced standing credit will be accepted in fulfillment of major and other requirements. Students should consult with the LS Advising Center about advanced standing credits and how they will be counted.

See also the Admissions page.

Additional Information About Advanced Standing Credit Policies for Global Liberal Studies

Global Liberal Studies participates in the Advanced Placement (AP) Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Global Liberal Studies students who present AP test scores with the appropriate grade (usually 4 or 5) may receive college credit toward the degree. Students who receive AP credit may not take the corresponding NYU course for credit. If they do so, they will lose the AP credit.

AP credit in Biology, Chemistry or Physics B may be used to substitute for Natural Science I and II.

AP credit in Environmental Science may be used to substitute for Natural Science II (as opposed to Natural Science I for the Core Program students). AP credit in any mathematics examination or statistics may be used to fulfill the Quantitative Reasoning requirement. Students may not present AP credit (or any form of advanced standing) for courses in the Liberal Studies core curriculum (Cultural Foundations, Social Foundations, and Writing sequences).

Note that the AP equivalencies listed below are for students in Global Liberal Studies only. Students who declare certain cross-school minors should consult the Liberal Studies Advising Center about credits that may or may not apply to particular minors or that may satisfy certain departmental prerequisites.

Advanced Placement Equivalencies
Examination Grade Points
Art History
4, 5
Biology 4, 5
BIOL-UA 11, 12/BIOL-UA 13, 14
Calculus AB
4, 5
Calculus BC
4, 5
MATH-UA 121, 122
Chemistry 4, 5 
CHEM-UA 125, 126/CHEM-UA 127, 128
Chinese Language¹ 4,5 
Computer Science A
English Language
- -
No Credit Awarded
English Literature
No Course Equivalent
Environmental Science
Natural Science II (GLS)
European History
French Language
German Language
Government and Politics: Comparative
No Course Equivalent
Government and Politics: United States
No Course Equivalent
Italian Language¹ 4,5
Japanese Language¹ 4,5
Latin Literature 4,5
No Course Equivalent
Latin: Virgil 4,5
Macroeconomics 4, 5
4, 5
Music Theory
No Credit Awarded
Physics B
No Course Equivalent
Physics B
PHYS-UA 11, 12
Physics C - Mechanics
4, 5
5 or 3
PHYS-UA 11 or PHYS-UA 91
Physics C - E&M
4, 5 5 or 3
PHYS-UA 12 or PHYS-UA 93
4, 5 4
Spanish Language
Spanish Literature
Spanish Literature
SPAN-UA 100 or SPAN-UA 200
4, 5 4
Studio Art
No Credit Awarded
U.S. History
4, 5 4
World History
4, 5 4
No Course Equivalent

¹ In order to receive credit for a score of 4 or 5 on Chinese language and culture and/or Japanese language and culture, students must successfully place above Intermediate II on language placement exams administered by the Department of East Asian Studies. Credits awarded in this manner count as elective credit and cannot be applied to the East Asian studies minor.

Advanced Placement Credit and Global Liberal Studies Requirements
Examination Grade
Requirement Satisfied
Biology 4, 5
Natural Science I and II
Calculus AB
4, 5 Quantitative Reasoning
Calculus BC
4, 5 Quantitative Reasoning
Chemistry 4, 5 Natural Science I and II
Environmental Science
4, 5 Natural Science II
Physics B
4, 5 Natural Science I and II
Physics C
4, 5 Natural Science I
4, 5  Quantitative Reasoning

Grade Appeal

The Committee on Academic Progress monitors the academic performance of students and places students on academic warning and academic probation. It also makes recommendations on terminating students who have not made sufficient progress. Its decisions may be appealed to the dean.

Students are expected to progress toward the degree and to remain in good standing. Good standing is defined as maintaining a GPA of 2.0 or above.

Students whose GPA falls below 2.0 in any semester will be placed on academic probation. Normally, these students will be expected to raise their GPA above 2.0 in the following semester or they will be placed on terminal probation. Students on terminal probation who do not make academic progress as stipulated in their notice of probation may be dismissed. Students whose GPA falls between 2.0 and 2.5 in any semester will receive a notice of academic warning from the committee.

Students who receive a notice of academic dismissal after they have registered for the next semester are required to discontinue attendance and will receive a full refund of their current semester tuition.

Students who wish to contest their academic dismissal must appeal, in writing, to the dean within 20 days of the notification of academic dismissal. After a review of the appeal, a decision will be rendered in writing.

Note: Students receiving federal or state financial aid or other forms of external financial aid are required to make “satisfactory progress.” It is the responsibility of the student to determine what effect any academic action taken against him or her may have on the student’s financial aid entitlements.

Note: Students receiving financial aid should note that the University’s Office of Financial Aid defines “satisfactory progress” for full-time students as maintaining a grade point average of 2.0 or better and completing 32 credit hours per year (exclusive of summer sessions).

Such progress is essential for students to remain eligible for student aid. Therefore, while I and W grades are not computed in a student’s grade point average, they will affect the student’s eligibility for financial aid. Students who have any questions about this can call the Office of Financial Aid at 212-998-4444 to determine if their financial aid is in jeopardy.


In special circumstances (such as when a student is working on a preapproved research paper with a faculty member), a student may be able to take an independent study course.


New York University, as a nonsectarian institution, adheres to the general policy of including in its official calendar only certain legal holidays. However, it has also long been University policy that members of any religious group may, without penalty, absent themselves from classes when compliance with their religious obligations requires it. In 1988, the University Senate affirmed this policy and passed a resolution that elaborated on it as follows:

  1. Students who anticipate being absent because of any religious observance should, whenever possible, notify faculty in advance of such anticipated absence.
  2. Whenever feasible, examinations and assignment deadlines should not be scheduled on religious holidays. Any student absent from class because of religious beliefs shall not be penalized for any class, examination, or assignment deadline missed on that day or days.
  3. If examinations or assignment deadlines are scheduled, any student who is unable to attend class because of religious beliefs shall be given the opportunity to make up that day or days.
  4. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student who avails him/herself of the above provisions.


Although the administration does not supervise attendance of classes, it supports the standards imposed by instructors. Students who, in the judgment of the instructor, have not substantially met the requirements of the course or who have been excessively absent may be considered to have withdrawn unofficially and may be given a final grade of F. See Change of Program, above.


Students who have complaints about grades or other academic matters should attempt in the first instance to resolve them by contacting the instructor of the course and speak to the Assistant Dean of Advising before the end of the term, who may attempt to bring about an informal resolution. If the matter cannot be resolved in this way, students may file a petition in writing setting forth the basis for the appeal with the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs; such a petition must be filed no later than 30 days after the final grade for the course has been posted. Petitions should be filed at: Liberal Studies, 726 Broadway, 6th Floor, Room 676, New York, NY 10003. Petitions will be heard by the Committee on Academic Standards, which is chaired by the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs. The committee will deliver its recommendation to the Dean of Liberal Studies within 30 days of the petition’s submission. Students, responsible faculty, and administrators shall preserve the confidentiality of any student’s grade appeal.


Students are required to be present for all scheduled examinations. Makeup examinations are at the discretion of an instructor. The semester calendar indicates a week at the end of each semester during which examinations are to be given. The syllabus for each course should indicate the date of the final examination; if a syllabus does not indicate the date of the final examination, this should be brought to the attention of the assistant dean for academic affairs. Students should make their travel plans with scheduled examination dates in mind. Early departure from New York at the end of a semester is no excuse for missing an examination, nor should students expect that instructors will change the date of the examination to accommodate their travel plans.


In the process of learning, students acquire ideas from many sources and exchange ideas and opinions with classmates, professors, and others. This occurs in reading, writing, and discussion. Students are expected—often required—to build their own work on that of other people, just as professional researchers and writers do. Giving credit to someone whose work has helped one is courteous and honest. Plagiarism, on the other hand, is a form of fraud. Proper acknowledgment marks the difference.

A hallmark of the educated student is the ability to acknowledge information derived from others. LS expects that a student will be scrupulous in crediting those sources that have contributed to the development of his or her ideas. In particular, it is the responsibility of the student to learn the proper forms of citation. Refer to the LS “Academic Integrity Guide” posted on the LS Core Program Web site at

Plagiarism is presenting someone else’s work as though it were one’s own. More specifically, plagiarism is to present as one’s own a sequence of words quoted without quotation marks from another writer, a paraphrased passage from another writer’s work, or facts or ideas gathered, organized, and reported by someone else, orally and/or in writing. Since plagiarism is a matter of fact, not of the student’s intention, it is crucial that acknowledgment of the sources be accurate and complete. Even where there is no conscious intention to deceive, the failure to make appropriate acknowledgment constitutes plagiarism. Penalties for plagiarism range from a failing grade for a paper or a course to dismissal from the University.

When an instructor finds that a student has violated the policy on academic integrity, the instructor will impose an appropriate sanction and also notify the assistant dean for academic affairs. Sanctions may range from a failing grade for the assignment to a failing grade for the course. The record of the finding will be kept on file while the student is in LS.

In the event of a second violation of the policy, the matter will be referred to the Committee on Academic Standards. The committee treats all such violations seriously, and they may result in the imposition of sanctions such as academic probation, suspension, or expulsion. Decisions of the committee may be appealed to the dean.


The academic support services available to LS and GLS students include the following:

  • The Writing Center, part of the Expository Writing Program at the College of Arts and Science, offers tutorial help in writing for the University community. The center is located at 411 Lafayette Street, 3rd Floor.
  • Math tutoring is available through the University Learning Center ( and also at the College of Arts and Science Department of Mathematics, in the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences (
  • The College Learning Center, at the College of Arts and Science, offers tutoring services and workshops (see below for more information).
  • The Academic Resource Center (ARC), a resource for academic support, is located at 18 Washington Place. ARC includes cross-school advising services to help students navigate beyond the offerings of their own schools when exploring courses, areas of study, minors, graduate degrees, etc. The University Learning Center (ULC) is also located in the ARC, offering academic support workshops, group review sessions, and other resources to assist students. Additional resources include computers, and University printers, study spaces, and a café.


Students are expected to familiarize themselves and to comply with the rules of conduct, academic regulations, and established practices of the University and Liberal Studies. NYU Student Community Standards can be found at

The following are examples of the offenses for which students may be subject to disciplinary action: cheating, plagiarism, or forgery of academic documents or form of identification; deliberate destruction, theft, or unauthorized use of laboratory data, research materials, computer resources, or University property; disruption of an academic event, program, or class; actual or threatened violence or harassment; use, possession, or storage of any weapon, dangerous chemicals, fireworks, or explosives; hazing; and violations of any local, state, and federal laws.

Complaints alleging a violation of this policy and other University policies will be reviewed and adjudicated by Liberal Studies (in intra-school cases) or by the NYU Office of Community Standards and Compliance (in inter-school cases). If a complaint involves a claim of sexual harassment, sexual violence or sexual assault, the Liberal Studies will follow the University’s standard procedures for responding to such incidents as outlined in NYU’s Policy on Sexual Assault, Harassment and Other Forms of Sexual Misconduct.  This policy can be found at:

Students who violate Code of Conduct policies may be subject to disciplinary charges by the University Office of Community Standards (refer to The Office of Community Standards, University Disciplinary Policies and Procedures at    

A member of the faculty, administration, staff or any student may file a complaint against any student for a student offense with the Dean of the School in which the student is enrolled. Although a complaint may be filed at anytime, it is strongly preferred that the complaint be submitted as soon as possible after the reporter/complainant became aware of the matter.  A complaint should include a description of the incident giving rise to the complaint, the identity of the accused student(s), and the names of others who may have been present, observed the incident, or who otherwise have information related to the matter. Complaint should be filed in writing at the following address: Liberal Studies, 726 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York NY 10003: Attn: Office of the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. 

The Liberal Studies Committee on Student Discipline (composed of members of the Liberal Studies administration) will review the complaint and begin a prompt investigation.  The Committee will also notify the student(s) named in the complaint or report of the filing of the complaint/report and request to meet with those individuals. During the respective meetings/discussions, the students (Complainant and Accused) shall be informed of their rights and responsibilities within the student conduct process, be apprised of the University’s related procedures, and asked to discuss the incident giving rise to the report/complaint. Written notice of a filing of a formal complaint shall be given to the  accused student.

The committee may impose the following sanctions:

  1. Warning: Notice to the student, in writing, that continuation or repetition of the conduct found wrongful, or participation in similar conduct, within a period of time stated in the warning, shall be cause for disciplinary action.
  2. Censure: Written reprimand for violation of specified regulation, including the possibility of more severe disciplinary sanction in the event of conviction for the violation of a school regulation within a period of time stated in the letter of reprimand.
  3. Disciplinary Probation: Exclusion from participation in privileges or extracurricular school activities as set forth in the notice of disciplinary probation for a specified period of time.
  4. Restitution: Reimbursement for damage to or misappropriation of property. Reimbursement may take the form of appropriate service to repair or otherwise compensate for damages.
  5. Suspension: Exclusion from classes and other privileges or extracurricular activities as set forth in the notice of suspension for a definite period of time. Students may not make academic progress at another institution and then transfer those credits back to NYU during the term of suspension. A student who has been suspended and who is not found to be responsible for the violation of school policy shall be allowed full opportunity to make up whatever work was missed due to the suspension.
  6. Monetary Fine: for any offenses.
  7. Dismissal: Termination of student status for an indefinite period. The conditions for readmission, if any are permitted, shall be stated by the panel in order of dismissal.

Both the Complainant and the Accused student will be notified in writing of the outcome of the complaint.  Decisions of the Committee may be appealed to the dean. No record of the disciplinary proceeding will be entered in the student’s file unless a final disciplinary sanction is found to be warranted


Students who wish to take a semester off must obtain an official leave of absence from the associate director of student affairs before the beginning of the semester. Those who do not obtain an official leave of absence must apply for readmission. A leave may be requested for one semester or for the entire academic year. Leave of absence applications may be obtained from, and should be submitted to, the LS Office of Student Affairs, 726 Broadway, Room 608. Students may apply for a medical leave of absence at any time. This will be granted upon the recommendation of a physician or therapist, the NYU Student Health Center, or the NYU Counseling and Behavioral Health Services office. Program changes may also be requested based on medical conditions.

Students who leave for medical or psychological reasons will be required to show medical documentation stating that the student is able physically and/or emotionally to continue school. In addition, students who take a leave of absence for psychological reasons must be evaluated by NYU’s Counseling and Behavioral Health Services office before returning to school.


Official copies of your University transcript can be requested when a stamped and sealed copy of your University records is required. Requests for official transcripts require the signature of the student requesting the transcript unless the student/alumnus has a valid NetId. Currently, NYU is not accepting requests for a transcript by e-mail.

A transcript may be requested by either (1) completing the online request form at and mailing/faxing the signature page (recommended method) or (2) writing a request letter (see below) and mailing/faxing the completed and signed letter. The fax number is 212-995-4154; the mailing address is New York University, Office of the University Registrar, Academic Records, P.O. Box 910, New York, NY 10276-0910. There is no charge for academic transcripts.

Writing a Request Letter: A request letter must include all of the following information:

  • University ID number
  • Current name and any other name under which you attend/attended NYU
  • Current address
  • Date of birth
  • School of the University you attend/attended and for which you are requesting the transcript
  • Dates of attendance
  • Date of graduation
  • Full name and address of the person or institution to which the transcript is to be sent

There is no limit to the number of official transcripts that can be issued to a student. You can indicate in your request if you would like us to forward the transcripts to your home address, but we still require the name and address of each institution.

Unofficial transcripts are available on Albert.

If you initiate your transcript request through the online request form, you will receive e-mail confirmation when the Office of the University Registrar has received your signed request form. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the office at 212-998-4280, and a representative will assist you.

Please notify the Office of the University Registrar immediately of any change of address.

Students are able to access their grades at the end of each semester via Albert, NYU’s Web-based registration and information system. Albert can be accessed via NYUHome at


You can view/print your own enrollment certification directly from Albert using the integrated National Student Clearinghouse student portal. This feature can be accessed from the “Enrollment Certification” link on the Albert homepage.

Eligible students are also able to view/print a Good Student Discount Certificate, which can be mailed to an auto insurer or any other company that requests proof of your status as a good student (based on your cumulative GPA). This feature is available for students in all schools except School of Law.

Requests for verification of enrollment or graduation may be made by submitting a signed letter with the following information:

  1. University ID number
  2. Current name and any name under which you attended NYU
  3. Current address
  4. Date of birth
  5. School of the University attended
  6. Dates of attendance
  7. Date of graduation
  8. Full name & address of the person or institution to which the enrollment verification is to be sent

Please address your request to:
Office of the University Registrar
Enrollment Verification and Graduation
P.O. Box 910
New York, NY 10276-0910

Or you can fax your signed request to 212-995-4154. Currently, we are not accepting requests for certification by e-mail. Please allow seven business days from the time the Office of the University Registrar is in receipt of your request.

If you wish to confirm receipt of your request, please contact our office at (212) 998-4280 and a representative will assist you.


NYU Summer Session serves more than 10,000 NYU and visiting graduate, undergraduate, professional, non-credit, and high school students at NYU campuses around the world. Programs include the NYU Pre-College program, Summer Study Abroad, and Summer in Greenwich Village.  Over 1,000 courses covering introductory to advanced materials enable graduate and undergraduate students to enrich and deepen their educational experience, add additional minors, complete requirements, and explore new areas of study. 

NYU Winter Session, a three-week session that runs before the Spring Semester, offers courses at NYU Washington Square as well as at selected NYU Global locations.

NYU does not normally accept summer school transfer credits taken at another university. In rare circumstances, and only with prior approval, students may take such summer courses. Students who wish to apply for approval must do so by filing a petition (forms are available at the LS Advising Center) no later than the first of May preceding the summer in which work is to be taken. No late applications are considered. Students are also advised that courses taken during the summer at other universities may not fulfill requirements toward degrees and majors in the other undergraduate schools and colleges of NYU. Students who wish to have summer work at another university substitute for courses or requirements at NYU will require approval from the appropriate NYU school or college as well as from the LS department. To receive NYU credit once permission is granted, a student must earn a grade of B or better and then arrange for all official transcripts and scores to be forwarded to the LS Advising Center and to the Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center, New York University, 665 Broadway, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10012-2339


The University reserves the right to deny registration and withhold all information regarding the record of any student who is in arrears in the payment of tuition, fees, loans, or other charges (including charges for housing, dining, or other activities or services) for as long as any arrears remain.

Diploma Arrears Policy

Diplomas of students in arrears will be held until their financial obligations to the University are fulfilled and they have been cleared by the Bursar. Graduates with a diploma hold may contact the Office of the Bursar at 212-998-2806 to clear arrears or to discuss their financial status at the University.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) establishes requirements for the protection of the privacy of students. FERPA and its attendant regulations govern the release of information from student educational records, provide for student access to their records, and establish a means for students to request the amendment of records that they believe are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of their rights of privacy. New York University’s “Guidelines for Compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act” summarizes the rights of the University’s students under FERPA and its attendant regulations, as well as the corresponding obligations of the University, and may be viewed at

Disclosure: Generally, personally identifiable information regarding a student cannot be disclosed without his or her written consent, although there are exceptions to this rule, which are explained in the Guidelines. Information is personally identifiable if it would make a student’s identity easily traceable. This includes the student’s name, address, Social Security number or other such identifying number, photograph, or parent’s name and/or address.

Education Records Covered Under FERPA: The Guidelines describe those education records that are covered by FERPA and that are available for student review. “Education records” refers to any record or document containing information directly related to a student and is not limited to a file with the student’s name on it.

Student Access: Requests by students for access to their education records should be referred to Assistant Provost Barnett W. Hamberger, 194 Mercer Street, 4th Floor, 212-998-2310 or via email at


Each semester, the Office of the Bursar establishes a refund schedule that applies to withdrawals. The first calendar week consists of the first seven calendar days beginning with the official opening date of the term. Students who receive financial aid should consult the Office of Financial Aid immediately if they register for, or drop to, fewer points than they indicated they would take on the application for financial aid. A change in enrollment status may affect the financial aid students receive. It may also affect their financial obligation to the University by making them immediately responsible for any charges incurred up to the point of withdrawal. The refund schedule is not applicable to students whose registration remains in the flat-fee range (12-18 points).

The refund schedule is based on the total applicable tuition, excluding nonrefundable fees and deposits. Students who are due a refund can speed the process by going to the Office of the Bursar at 25 West Fourth Street and filing a refund request form.

For more information about NYU tuition policies, go to


Students may audit a designated course with the consent of the LS assistant dean for academic advising and the permission of the instructor. Auditors may not preempt space required for registered students. Audited courses will not appear on students’ official transcript, nor will credit or a grade be awarded. Students should not audit courses required by their curriculum. Audited courses will not be considered to satisfy prerequisite requirements for advanced courses. Auditors are allowed to attend classes but not to participate in other ways. Auditors may not submit papers or take exams. Students who wish to audit should fill out the approval form no later than the first day on which the class meets. Forms are available in the Liberal Studies Advising Center.


New York State Public Health Law 2165 and 2167 and/or New York University require that all students (graduate, undergraduate, transfers and returning students who, to date, have not complied) taking six or more credits in an approved degree or registered certificate program in a degree-granting institution must provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella and acknowledge receipt of information regarding the disease meningitis/or provide proof of meningitis vaccine.

If you are not in full compliance, New York State requires that the University exclude you from attending classes 30 days after the first day of class for New York State residents and 45 days after the first day of class for out-of-state and international students.(


Various Department of Veterans Affairs programs provide educational benefits for spouses, sons, and daughters of deceased or permanently disabled veterans as well as for veterans and in-service personnel, subject to certain restrictions. Under most programs, the student pays tuition and fees at the time of registration but will receive a monthly allowance from Veterans Affairs.

Veterans with service-connected disabilities may be qualified for educational benefits under Chapter 31. Applicants for this program are required to submit to the Department of Veterans Affairs a letter of acceptance from the college they wish to attend. On meeting the requirements for the Department of Veterans Affairs, the applicant will be given an Authorization for Education (VA Form 22-1905), which must be presented to the Office of the University Registrar, 25 West Fourth Street, 1st Floor, before registering for course work.

All Veterans’ allowance checks are usually sent directly to veterans by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans and eligible dependents should contact the Office of the University Registrar each term for which they desire Veterans Affairs certification of enrollment.

All veterans are expected to reach the objective (bachelor’s or master’s degree, doctorate, or certificate) authorized by Veterans Affairs with the minimum number of credits required. The Department of Veterans Affairs may not authorize allowance payments for credits that are in excess of scholastic requirements, that are taken for audit purposes only, or for which nonpunitive grades are received.

Applications and more information may be obtained from the student’s regional office of the Department of Veterans Affairs. Additional guidance may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar, 25 West Fourth Street, 1st Floor.

Since interpretation of regulations governing veterans’ benefits is subject to change, veterans should keep in touch with the Department of Veterans Affairs or NYU’s Office of the University Registrar.

Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program

NYU is pleased to be participating in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program), a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The program is designed to help students finance, through scholarship assistance, up to 100 percent of their out-of-pocket tuition and fees associated with education programs that may exceed the Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition benefit, which will only pay up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition.

Beginning in the 2009-2010 academic year, NYU will provide funds toward the tuition of each qualifying veteran who has been admitted as a full-time undergraduate, with the VA matching NYU’s tuition contribution for each student.

To be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon benefits, an individual must be entitled to the maximum post-9/11 benefit. An individual may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Enhancement if:

  • He/She served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months.
  • He/She was honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and had served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.
  • He/She is a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria, as described on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Web site.

The Department of Veterans Affairs is currently accepting applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Enhancement, students must apply to the VA. The VA will then determine a student’s eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and issue the student a Certificate of Eligibility. Note: Students can apply using the VA Form 22-1990 (PDF), and the form includes the instructions needed to begin the process.

After a student is issued a Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs, indicating that the student qualifies for the Yellow Ribbon Program, please contact Clara Fonteboa, at or 212-998-4823.

The Office of the University Registrar must certify to the Department of Veterans Affairs that the eligible person is enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in order for the funds to be paid under the Yellow Ribbon Program.


New York University strictly prohibits the possession of all weapons, as described in local, state, and federal statutes, that includes, but is not limited to, firearms, knives, explosives, etc., in and/or around any and all University facilities—academic, residential, or others. This prohibition extends to all buildings—whether owned, leased, or controlled by the University, regardless of whether the bearer or possessor is licensed to carry that weapon. The possession of any weapon has the potential of creating a dangerous situation for the bearer and others.

The only exceptions to this policy are duly authorized law enforcement personnel who are performing official federal, state, or local business and instances in which the bearer of the weapon is licensed by an appropriate licensing authority and has received written permission from the executive vice president of the University.


New York University strictly prohibits simulated firearms in and/or around any and all University facilities—academic, residential, or other. This prohibition extends to all buildings—whether owned, leased, or controlled by the University. The possession of a simulated firearm has the potential of creating a dangerous situation for the bearer and others.

The only exceptions to this policy are instances in which (1) the bearer is in possession of written permission from a dean, associate dean, assistant dean, or department head and (2) such possession or use of simulated firearms is directly connected to a University- or school-related event (e.g., play, film production). Whenever an approved simulated firearm is transported from one location to another, it must be placed in a secure container in such a manner that it cannot be observed. Storage of approved simulated firearms shall be the responsibility of the Department of Public Safety in a location designated by the vice president for public safety. Under no circumstances, other than at a public safety storage area, may approved simulated firearms be stored in any University owned, leased, or controlled facilities.